TYALGUM POST OFFICE
Located in the heritage zoned main street of Tyalgum village, this project is the conversion of an old timber house into a mixed-use commercial building. The house is next door to the General Store, and was originally constructed in the early 1900's as the General Store manager's residence. Stage one has been completed of a two stage construction, with the building of external works and post office within part of the building. DA approval was also obtained for a restaurant and dwelling unit in the remaining part of the building. A main feature of the external works is the provision of a new verandah wrapping around the building on two sides, with ramping and wide stairs for access. The verandah provides a north facing space for dining, and visual connection with the street as well as the northern garden. The new verandah has a skylight running all the way around the junction between the verandah roof and the existing building, which allows daylight to come onto the verandah and into the interior of the building. New toilet facilities are provided for the stage two restaurant, in addition to new car parking and an upgrade of the existing laneway at the rear of the property.
Builder: Greg Clark Building Structural, civil, and hydraulic engineer: Greg Alderson and Associates Fire engineer: Dolphin Fire Engineering